Hower House was completed in 1871 by John Henry Hower, a leading Akron industrialist who was active in the milling, reaping and cereal industries. Hower and architect Jacob Snyder designed this house in the Second Empire Italianate style. The floor plan, known as the " Akron Sunday School Plan", features rooms radiating from a large octagonal center hall. The plan was used for churches across the United States. This 28-room mansion is capped with a mansard roof and soaring tower, and is filled with hundreds of treasures and furnishings the Hower family collected from around the world.
The Hower House, currently owned by the University of Akron, has a well-known female ghost purported to be one of the Howers. She apparently is angry due to husband's infidelity and likes to scare male workers and guests. There are also reports that one of the fraternity houses nearby is also haunted, and this ghost has been seen by students. The ghost is that of a young girl servant who died in the home when it was still used as a residence and is buried in a hard to find grave located behind the house. She has been seen both in the house itself and on the grounds outside.
By lordmono @ 2006-04-09 20:43:14