Blimp hangars at Tustin Air Station
By Mojave @ 2005-04-28 01:25:30
Two massive hangars at the Tustin Air Station were built to house Navy blimps during WWII. At 1,000 feet long, the hangars could hold several blimps each. Their use for this was brief though, as blimps were taken out of active service by 1950. The 1,600 acre base evolved into the largest Marine Corps helicopter base in the country, until it closed in 1999. Among the proposed uses for the hangars now are as soundstages for the film industry. The Hollywood film Pearl Harbor recently shot in one, and an X-Files convention has been held in one as well.
4.0 (3 votes)