n 1934, Columbia Pictures purchased the first forty acres of their ranch in Burbank (their back-backlot). By 1949, the ranch had increased to eighty acres.
The first film to use the ranch appears to have been Party Wire in 1935.
In April 1965, a $375,000 sound stage was erected at the ranch.
Over the years, acreage was sold off until by 1971 there were only 38 acres remaining of the 80.
On June 3, 1971, Columbia Pictures moved their Hollywood production into the Warner Bros. Burbank lot.
The combined Warner Bros. and Columbia Pictures, known as The Burbank Studios, announced in May 1973 that they would not sell the 38 acre ranch which had been on the market since 1971.
In 1974, six acres were sold for a shopping center.
The remaining 32 acres is still in existance and is owned by Warner Bros.
Once the site of a complete Western Town with two streets, a jungle area, a Colonial/French town, a large New York street area, and a small town area with park, the ranch now only has the small town with park and a few high rise buildings.