Built in 1918 for industrialist and financier, Alfred Irénée du Pont. Sold in 1926 to Amy Phipps, daughter of Carnegie steel magnate Henry Phipps, and her husband Frederick Guest, the grandson of the seventh Duke of Marlborough and Winston Churchill’s first cousin.
Amy Phipps stayed on at the estate after her husband’s death in 1937. Upon her death in 1959, the mansion was left to her son, Winston Guest, a well-known international polo player.
In 1972, New York Institute of Technology purchased the estate from the Guest family and named it after the famous Russian aviator, Alexander P. de Seversky, a member of the NYIT Board of Trustees who was instrumental in the acquisition.
By Xeba73 @ 2013-09-11 01:14:05