In 1913, developer Rowan got a pal, widow Jeanette Donovan, to move from New York to his new sub-division and into the Classical Revival home which she then dubbed Sunshine Hall. Designed by Theodore Eisen, the two-story redwood house is notable first and foremost by the large Ionic columns out front.
Sunshine Hall’s second owner, Harwood Huntington, added the tennis courts, a guest-house, servant’s quarters, tennis courts, gardeners’ sheds, and a four-car garage.
Hugh and Gladys Evans bought the home from its third owner, Grace G. Huntington, during World War II. Nicknamed “Old Natchez” for the Evans’s ties to Natchez, MS, it stayed in the family for more than four decades.
Former Ram Danny Villanueva renovated the interior in the 1980s, and, after owning the home for five years, Yong and Kyung Park put the city landmark up for sale in 1999 for about two and a half million dollars.
By neotrix @ 2010-08-28 03:29:12